Back pain, varicose veins, swollen feet, arch pain, pain to ball of foot and achy muscles are just a few of the effects of standing on concrete for long periods of time. When patients of Dr. Jeff Bowman come into his Houston, TX podiatric office seeking treatment for foot pain caused by standing all day, they are encouraged with several available options and tips:
- If your job requires you to stand on concrete, change your position regularly. Use a stool to sit down if that is allowed or put a small step stool to rest one foot at a time during the day.
- An anti-fatigue mat can really soften the place where you stand and help to prevent foot pain during the day. They can be found at most hardware stores.
- Choose your shoes wisely. This is not the time for flat sandals or flip-flops. If you need to stand all day, invest in shoes with cushioned insoles and good arch support. Also, get a few different pairs and rotate them as the same pair every day could lead to pain as well.
- Talk to Dr. Bowman about custom orthotics. These inserts are specially molded from your foot structure and slip right into your shoes to provide extra support and take the weight off the painful areas. Orthotics can also help Knee, Hip and Lower Back pains.
- Pre-existing conditions such as flat feet, plantar fasciitis and bunions could be adding to the stress of standing on concrete all day. Get a thorough foot exam and seek treatment from Dr. Bowman for any foot deformities or injuries.