However, don’t ditch your shoes because they are worn to protect your feet. Instead you can actively prevent nasty foot odor from occurring! Below are some helpful tips to keep your feet healthy and smelling fresh.
- Clean your feet. Wash your feet, toes and ankles at least once a day. You can scrub your feet with soap and warm water to help eliminate bacteria that causes an odor. Also, make sure to thoroughly dry your feet – especially between your toes.
- Don’t wear the same shoes. Shoes need a full 24 hours to dry out. Try not to wear the same shoes two days in a row especially in a humid climate like Houston.
- Wash your socks. Wearing socks with shoes can help prevent perspiration. However, make sure you change your socks daily as dirty socks can lead to smelly feet. Always wash your socks after every wear.
- Moisture wicking socks. These are available at many sporting good stores and are helpful when trying to prevent foot and shoe odor.
- Dry out your socks and shoes. If your socks become wet, you need to take them off and toss them in the dirty clothes hamper. Also, if your shoes get wet then you need to air them out before using them again. Wearing wet socks and shoes can lead to fungal infections.
- Apply antiperspirant powder or spray. Apply a spray or powder in your shoes, socks and the bottoms of your feet, on a daily basis. This can drastically reduce your perspiration by keeping your feet dry and odor free. Dr. Bowman carries Mico-Mist Spray in his Houston office which works great.
If you believe you may be suffering from a fungal or bacterial infection on your feet, contact our office at (713) 467-8886 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jeffrey Bowman. Online appointments available at www.houstonfootspecialists.com.